Chesapeake Medical Staffing is a great option for travel assignments throughout the nation (or for travlers looking to work in our home market – MD, PA, DE, NY and NJ). Search our current contracts page for available Contract & Travel opportunities. If you see an assignment that you are interested in, please email your resume to our travel team via E-Mail, or call the office – 410-321-4267 option 6 – for more information on how to pursue that position. You can also Apply Now to receive our periodic emails that contain recent contract openings and overall lists of available assignments. Once you complete the application (be sure to electronically sign), you will automatically be added to our mailing list. Or, feel free to Contact Us so we know what sorts of assignments you are looking for and can offer you assignments that fit your criteria. Simply select ‘Contract and Travel Assignments’ from the drop down and we will get back in touch with you as quickly as possible.

Please note: Quoted blended pay rate is for local candidates. Travelers will be paid the equivalent of the local rate minus housing. Tax-free housing stipends are also available.

If there are any states / locations for which you do not see needs on our site, please let us know and we can add you to our travel interest list and send you weekly updates of available opportunities. Due to the vast array of options, we can not promote all the needs we have on our site but can tailor updates specific to your requests. If you are first time traveler or looking to go somewhere new, visit our page with more details about compact and state licensure here: License Info

Travel Compensation FAQ:

What makes me eligible?
You are eligible if your temporary assignment through CMS requires you to be away from your “tax home” – your tax home is defined as the entire city or general area where your main work is located. This would also typically be the area of your permanent residency. *Please note you can take any assignment at the local rate if you prefer.

How long am I eligible?

You are eligible for up to one year. After that, your work assignment is considered indefinite rather than temporary.

How much am I eligible for in Per Diem Travel Reimbursements?

Based on the government guidelines, we calculate your reimbursement by adding the applicable meals and incidentals rate to the applicable lodging rate, and determine a daily per diem rate. Here is the government website that outlines these rates, first by state, then by county: GSA PRN Rate Look Up

How much am I eligible for in Hourly Compensation?

This varies by facility and unit, but you will know in advance prior to CMS presenting you as a candidate for any assignment.

What will my pay stub / “take-home pay” look like?

Our payroll software can calculate a very detailed sample pay stub, which we can provide you before we present you as a candidate for any assignment. Please note that your actual pay stub may vary based on your specific tax withholding. ***See an example below

What will my staffing agreement look like?

If interested we can send a example of our standard staffing agreement. Again, the Per Diem Travel Reimbursement and Hourly Compensation information will vary by facility and unit. Your staffing agreement will mirror the information you were provided prior to CMS presenting you as a candidate for that specific assignment.

Is there any paperwork involved in this process?

No – your staffing agreement includes all of the elements that we need in terms of documentation to process your compensation as a ‘traveler’. We recommend that you speak with your accountant for any additional documentation you will want to save each year when filing your taxes.

***Sample Pay Breakdown***

Below you will see an example of the difference between local and travel pay. Note this example uses the Baltimore per diem rates of $59/day for Meals and Incidentals (M&I) and $98/day for Housing (specific state and county per diem reimbursement details found here – GSA PRN Rate Look Up).

Travel Hourly Rate  $14.47 Local / Blended Rate  $45.00
Taxable Earnings  $521.00 Non Travel Gross  $1,620.00
M&IE Reimbursement  $413.00
Max Lodging Reimbursement  $686.00 Local Take Home Pay
Taxes Paid  $(130.25) Based on 25%  $1,215.00 
Tax Bracket
Travel Take Home Pay        
Based on 25%  $1,489.75       
Tax Bracket


For even more details about travel pay, the myth of the 50 mile rule, and 50+ FAQs – please check here: TRAVEL TAX 101

Contact CMS